Friday, January 17, 2014

Journal entry Versel. The Merit of Sin.



Born of Greed I revel in it. I take no greater pleasure than the acquisition of wealth. Whether it be coins, gems, items of power, or property makes no difference. I have even come to value knowledge & political position almost as much as coin. Our standing in society also has value, not as easily measured but I can see its influence. Greed drive’s me, it gives me purpose and helps define my existence as well as that of my brothers. But recent events and conflicts with other creatures of sin has forced me to look at myself differently. I have come to realize a connection with all seven of the recognized sins. In some ways I embody them all.

Greed: is the desire for material wealth or gain. This one goes without saying for me & my brothers, for what are we if not Greed personified.

Gluttony: is an inordinate desire to consume more than that which one requires. Most often recognized with the intake of food (for which I am rarely satisfied) it also reflects the desire for excess. Excess (when it comes to material possessions) is a word barely recognized by me or my brethren. The thought of excess anything, as long as it holds some value is foreign to me.    

Wrath: is manifested in the individual who spurns love and opts instead for fury. Our enemies know full well the manifestation of my wrath. They have taken our possessions, invaded our home, & threatened the very business we have worked hard to create. To invoke my wrath is to court death.    

Pride: is excessive belief in one's own abilities, which interferes with the individual's recognition of the grace of God. It has been called the sin from which all others arise. The things my brothers and I have accomplished in the short period of time since our awakening has been astounding. We have each amassed a fortune that the commoners of this city could never achieve in a dozen lifetimes. Combined I bet our hordes value would challenge the great wyrms of ages past. We have only just begun to recognize our capability’s, and as our understanding of this world grows so will our interests and earning potential.    

A brief note acknowledging my combat prowess: I have trained and honed my skills well beyond that of a typical combatant. In fact utilizing my genetic gifts, as well as the unique equipment I have managed to acquire I would be hard pressed to find militant equal. I could only imagine a mature dragon, or perhaps some great demonic outsider being able to stand alone against me. Possessing very few weaknesses to exploit, it’s hard to perceive the tactics in which one would even try.       

Envy: is the desire for others' traits, status, abilities, or situation. I find this one the hardest sin to bear. Barely able to admit it to myself I would never admit it to anyone else, even my brothers. Of course we all want what others have, be it money, power, or fame it seems everyone always has it a bit better than you do. And while I may have a slight bit of envy for a couple of the house heads or guild leaders we have encountered, my true envy lies a little closer to home.

Jaren- Gifted with fathers arcane talents his abilities are awe inspiring. If I had his spell casting ability I would certainly be unstoppable. The enchantments he bestows upon me in combat has proven invaluable & has guaranteed our victory time & time again. Add to that his ability to craft and effectively use items of power and his value becomes immeasurable.  

Durg- His combat ability’s to push himself beyond his normal limits is astounding. If I could focus my energies to physically enhance my capabilities I would never know defeat. The way Durg is able to ignore some of the damage as if he was never struck shows a level of toughness the likes of which I have never seen.

Auge- Master of alchemy his ability’s to craft potions, poisons and other alchemical wonders is truly a gift. With his talents I would bring to bear a never ending supply toxins to smote my enemies & enhancements to increase my strengths. He also possesses an unlimited earning potential with his ability to craft in demand items of power.     

Lust is an inordinate craving for the pleasures of the body. Unlike some of the other sin’s I believe this one is not shared by my brothers. Ever since I became aware there has always been the desire. An ever burning need to bed any woman I feel drawn to. Fortunately the acquisition of Sunbow Mansion has helped minimize the impact this craving has had on my day to day duties. However the recent depletion of stock at our facility has got me looking to ply my lust else were.    

Sloth is the avoidance of physical or spiritual work. I initially thought this was the lone absent sin I did not posses. It wasn’t until I looked ahead to the future that I noticed the presence of sloth. It’s the sin I aspire to. I have a vision, to amass such a level of wealth, to attain a level of power so absolute that my underlings deposit payment as I repose. To have no concerns or responsibility’s and yet still continue to amass wealth and gain power, I believe that is what a true dragon should strive toward.