Protected in a three inch iron wood box, scorched and blackened from
heat exposure, it had house symbol on the lid, one that I recognized immediately. In side the small box, lined with a purple cloth stitched with a symbol of Mystra, was a
magical
stone from another world.
The stone itself, I have discovered, is commonly called webstone in the Realms or spiderweb
obsidian, is a stone coveted by underdark races for its fractal beauty and
ability to retain enchantments. Webstone is an obsidian variety in which small
pieces of the stone have been cemented together by heat and pressure in an
irregular mass; the joints show as irregular, weblike lines. It is usually
black with whitish join lines, like this one, but inferrior webstones of brown, reddish brown, and
rust-red hues with lighter webbing is also known.
As I bring the stone from its protective box I am struck
with a strange feeling of detached nostalgia when I first saw the webstone; then
surprised elation when my mind aligned with Shar’s allowing me to recall the
magical properties of the stone. Memories came in like a tide reminding me of
how the stone originally came to Shar’s possession as a gift of the goddess of
magic for heroics beyond the call of valor in saving the celestial child from Delrach the Vile.

No comments:
Post a Comment