Dramen shook the hand of each dwarven craftsmen in turn as
he handed out the portfolios. “Galeb has informed me you are the best crafters
in your respective fields & your schedule has been cleared for the next
three weeks. For your review these portfolios contain shift schedules, a
completion timeline, and a draft of each item we will be making. Please forgive
the crudeness of the drawings, I did not have time to draw them to scale or add
color. Alright page one shows the schedule for each crafter.”
“Excuse me lad”, stepping forward was an older dwarf, the countless
scars on his arms told Dramen he had worked the forges for over a century. “I
can’t help but notice you are trying to do three months of work in three weeks?
And your schedule is listed as twenty-four hour shifts, with you working every
shift?
“If you will indulge me master dwarf, I can allow any
crafter to work twenty-four hours without the need for food or sleep. I thought
a one-day on one-day off alternating schedule would be acceptable? That would
allow you time with your family’s and to attend to personal matters.”
“Son, most of my tools are older than you. As grandmaster of
this forge I say each man takes a break when needed, but we all work on your
schedule. We won’t be outworked in our own forge, besides if what you say is
true why would we need time off? I have one last question before we begin, what
are these five runes you are hiding on the base component of each of these
items?” Dramen smiled as the dwarf pointed out the hidden symbology on each
piece. “You need a lot more years then you got to slip something past me.”
“Good sirs, I know you have all been briefed on the unique
diversity of my traveling companions. I am an orphan, and my mismatched group
of friends is the only family I have ever known. Each rune represents family in
the native tongue of every member of my…family. We have just suffered a devastating
loss. No doubt countless innocents are going to suffer because we were not prepared.
This equipment will help strengthen our position so next time we will not fail.
I along with my companions thank you for the use of your forge, as well as your
master craftsmanship.
*********************************************************************************
Garenlock Stoningthrow observed the young wizard from a
distance. His magic allowed the small team of craftsmen to physically work
around the clock. He had worked with humans in the past and never had he seen one
with this level of diligence. It had only been a week but the Forgemaster was
starting to admire the human’s level of commitment to his companions. For what
was essentially a child he fit seamlessly into the workings of the forge as if
he had been here for years. The young mage didn’t yield to the stories of the
other crafters, nor to the ale that was frequently passed around despite requiring
the need to drink. Garenlock found himself hoping the rest of the allies were
delayed, he had never enjoyed working with a human or a wizard before.
*********************************************************************************
The Forgemaster clapped Dramen on the shoulder as they
admire one of the pieces they had just completed. “I told ya we would get
everything done with time to spare. I am guessing you owe me that bonus we
discussed? I must say that’s a fine looking piece, for an elf.
Dramen snickered at the comment, certainly something Dolgrin
would say. “You were right about the emeralds, thank you for exchanging them for
my rubies.” The silver arms of the headband
resembled a thick tangle of briars with a pair of emeralds utilized as foliage
above each eye.
“How many times do I have to tell ya, I am always right in
my forge.”
“I was the one who designed the armor etchings to match.”
Dramen tried to boast.”And if I recall you didn’t think we would get it all
done?”
“Those etchings went without saying and I knew we could get
it done, I wasn’t sure that you were up to the task. So what are we making next?”
The old dwarf rubbed his hands together eager to get back to work.
“Well since you have seen fit to separate me from the
remainder of my funds.” Dramen tossed a small bag of coins onto the work table
as he removed the headband. “It looks like my days in your forge are done.”
“I heard you agreed to try and help navigate the gate under
the college? Perhaps when you return we can make some adjustments to these
pieces, or make something new?
“I would like that” Dramen said as he took Garenlock by the
hand. Pulling out another small bag he passed it to the venerable dwarf. “These
are a few potions of the spell we have been using. Each one last for
twenty-four hours, this is how I spent the extra days you bought me. I also
heard you will have a spell caster here when I return. I will also teach her
this spell; I fear we may need all the weapons and armor we can get.”
“After two centuries I thought I had humans figured out. You’re
a credit to your race lad; don’t let your own forge fires dwindle. Now that I
have some extra coin, let’s go have a drink.”



1 comment:
Nice Post Russ
Post a Comment