Thursday, March 11, 2010

Mere of Dead Men

This vast salt swamp stretches along the shore of the Sword Coast for over a 100 miles, reaching inland over 30 miles at its greatest width. It’s a desolate, insect-ridden place seldom visited by civilized races and home to a variety of fell creatures.

The Mere of Dead Men was named for the thousands of men, elves, and dwarves of the Fallen Kingdom who were slain here when dragons routed them here from the present-day sites of Yartar and Triboar. Several rich castles and manor houses stand flooded in the Mere, with only spires and battlements showing above the dark waters.

Travelers on the High Road, which skirts the Mere to the east, have been known to travel for three days and nights without stopping to avoid camping near the Mere. Eerie sounds, out of place smells and strange lights over the Mere are a common sight at night from the High Road.

Tales are told of floating islands, of foul pools of magical aspect, of lizard men shaman, and even of a penanggalan of monstrous size that haunts the area. Understandably, few folk are moved to investigate the dark, scummy waters of the Mere to learn the dire truths for themselves.

Renowned explorers, the Brokengulf family has procured exotic beasts this year for Azar’s Challenge- creatures from the Mere of Dead Men.

15 comments:

James said...

Holy Crap was last night fun! I am lucky to have guys that enjoy good times!

James said...

(Griffith) Sounds like giant snakes to me Damian!

Gordzilla said...

(Damian) Lizards ain't snakes. However just in case, if there are snakes...we may change our strategy and have you guys fight them while I run!


Last night was lots of fun.

"AND THEN WE!"

Russ said...

(Eva) Though I have never been, mother spoke of that swamp as a sacred place. Sacred to who or what she would never say but the spirits that guard that place bare ill will to all living that approach. It would seem the barriers between our world and the realm of the dead grow very thin in that mere.

Very fun ...LOL, you "have" guys that enjoy "good times"!

James said...

That was the funniest shit EVER!

James said...

(Chadwick) I wonder if we have time to consult Vannay? Vannay is from the Brokengulf family, mayhap he knows who the beasts will be for A's Challenge.

James said...

(Wayne) That makes sense to me Damian, you have a reach weapon after all.

James said...

(Eden) What in the nine hells is a penanggalan?!

James said...

(Briar) I would strongly suspect that we will see lizard-men at this challenge.

This has been the time of my life, Tauron!

harrygoblin said...

Im not going to be available to gather information before this fight. I am going to have to get the armor for Rusher fitted on to him, or else I am unwilling to fight with no armor. Also, I am going to try to cash in a little bit on my celebrity and grab yet a different weapon before the challenge.

robm1171 said...

Bordane: Hmmm, mayhaps Azar's Challenge may be a good thing. Damien, we should learn all we can of the fell creatures that inhabit the area we'll be claiming.

Russ said...

(Eva) I too wonder what a penanggalan
is? I think we should do some Brokengulf family interrogation. We need types of creatures in the challenge and there weakness, combat tactics etc... If Damian plans on avoiding an early visit to Myrkul's realm we need all the help we can get.

James said...

(Wayne) to Tauron. A missile weapon perhaps? And Eva is right, I don't want to be defeated by winged creatures we cant reach or swarms that swords have little effect.

harrygoblin said...

(Tauron) I dont know much about either, but I believe the pennangalan is a close relative to the tuburous glunt, a horrible swamp monster with long tentacles that seeks to grapple its prey and drown them under water. I hope I'm wrong, and I hope to not have to find out.

robm1171 said...

Bordane: The tuburous glunt?? It's a put on!! All joking aside, I don't know if we'll have time to interview the Brokengulfs before the event. Remember, this is all happening in the same day.