- Served a one-year rotation as President of the United Nations Security Council in 1976.
- Later in 1976, Moynihan was elected to the U.S. Senate from the State of
, sitting on the NSA Advisory Committee and privately is a consultant for Man-Power Professional Consultants. New York
- Moynihan was a critic of President Reagan's Cold War policies, such as voting against the Reagan Doctrine; a strategy orchestrated and implemented by the
United Statesto oppose the global influence of the Soviet Union.
- Moynihan is known for his stance that there is and was no active Soviet-backed conspiracy in
Latin America, or anywhere, instead suggesting that the U.S.S.R. is suffering from massive internal and domestic problems and a collapsing economy.
- He was among the guests at Ted Kennedy’s Re-election Regalia fundraiser; a party that was host to an FBI sting. Moynihan was listed as a person of interest, but never indicted.
- In February 1980 he sponsored the Tenloss Securities Act, which President Ted Kennedy signed into law before he left office.